What is Magnetic method?
In a magnetic survey variations in the Earth's magnetic field are measured. The method has the advantage of being one of the easiest and cheapest geophysical techniques to carry out, since large areas can be covered quickly at a low cost and few corrections to the field data are required.
Magnetic surveying has been widely used for many years in the mineral and oil exploration industries but with recent advances in the speed of operation and resolution of portable systems can be used for industrial and environmental applications such as:
- The detection of abandoned mine shafts and adits,
- Detection of man-made targets such as brick lined shafts or the remains of ancient dwellings,
- Location of underground storage tanks and buried steel drums,
- Mapping contaminated sediments,
- Archaeological site investigation.